COURSE PREVIEW - Hot Topics GP Update Course Autumn 2019Simon Curtis - 22 Aug, 2019
The Hot Topics GP Update course is a fun, inspiring and informative day packed with learning points to take away to use in practice. We make it easy for you to maintain focus on the day by keeping our presentations short, sharp and focussed with lots of opportunity for interaction, including using live Q&A polls with your smartphone. We use clinical cases weaved in to bring the literature and guidelines to life. All the material is 100% independent and free from any external influence, and all our presenters are NHS ‘coal face’ GPs just look you.
All the presented material will be completely new compared to Autumn 2019.
All delegates on the course will receive:
- The detailed 350 page Hot Topics paper book summarising all the recent literature for you and packed with Keep it Simple Summaries, learning points and quality improvement ideas to take away
- A longer digital version of the book including even more Hot Topics, that you can download or browse online
- The digital course book is instantly searchable and hyperlinked to all the references & patient resources
- The NB Medical App, across which you can access the full content of the digital course book or just the Keep it Simple Summaries (KISS)
- Pre and post course MCQs to assess learning
- The webinar version of the course so that you can revise and see the material again
- The personal email address of the presenters of the course for post course follow up questions
Topics that we are likely to cover on the Autumn 2019 courses include:
- Cardiovascular medicine
- Primary prevention in older people
- What do the evidence and guidelines tell us about managing CV risk in older people, including use of BP lowering medication and statins
- Hypertension, an overview of the NICE 2019 guideline & it’s key changes
- Heart failure, including the common heart failure with preserved ejection fraction
- Prescribing Hot Topics
- Loop diuretics, how should we use them in practice?
- New concerns & restrictions regarding quinolones
- NSAIDs risks and gastroprotection, and do coxibs have a role?
- In England only, the new 2019 QOF prescribing quality improvement domain
- Medical cannabis: what do GPs need to know?
- Mental Health
- Depression in children and young people, new NICE guidance and management options for primary care
- Treatment resistant depression
- Insomnia…if not benzos or zopiclone, then what next?
- COPD: NICE 2019 guidance on management, treatment of exacerbations & should management be guided by eosinophil counts?
- Asthma: BTS/SIGN 2019 guidelines update
- Chronic cough, how should we manage it?
- Women’s Health
- Contraception update, including tailored pill taking
- New NICE/PHE antibiotic guidance
- Complicated UTIs
- They’re back: pertussis, measles and mumps
- Vaccinations update
- Suspected neurological conditions, cases based on NICE 2019 guideline
- Vertigo, and differentiating peripheral from central vertigo
- Cases based on recent papers on colorectal cancer and FIT tests, myeloma and LUTs and prostate cancer
- Subclinical hypothyroidism, new practice changing research & guidelines
- Thyroid, fertility and pregnancy
- Chronic diarrhoea, how should we investigate it?
- Gilbert’s syndrome, what are the clinical implications?
- Abnormal investigations
- Making sense of inflammatory markers
- Latest evidence on e-cigarettes and vaping, what should we be advising our patients?
- Miscellaneous Hot Topics cases to end the day
As ever, we like to keep it practical and pragmatic whilst also considering many of the broader issues and challenges we face. And we like to have a laugh too!
We look forward to seeing you!
Simon, Neal, Siobhan, Kate, Zoe, Ahmed, Rob, Stephanie, Sarah, Duncan, Mark and Will
The NB GP Team