Hot Topics Blog
The Hot Topics GP Update course webinar is fun, inspiring and informative, packed with learning points to take away to use in practice. We make it easy for you to maintain focus by keeping our presentations short, sharp and focussed. We use clinical cases weaved in to bring the literature and guidelines to life. All the material is 100% independent and free from any external influence. All the presented material will be completely new compared to Spring 2019.
All delegates on the course will receive:
- A detailed, colour 300 page Hot Topics paper book
- A bigger electronic version of the book, including even more Hot Topics which is hyperlinked to all the original references and is instantly searchable
- The NB Medical App, across which you can access the full content of the digital course book or just the Keep it Simple Summaries (KISS)
- Post course MCQs to assess learning
- The personal email address of the presenters of the course for post course follow up questions
Topics that we shall cover on the day will include:
- Cardiovascular medicine
- Hypertension: outline of key changes in the NICE 2019 guideline & recent research on management
- Lipids: is isolated raised LDL a significant risk, should younger adults know their LDL level and new evidence on secondary prevention LDL targets
- Loop diuretics, how should we use them?
- Early diagnosis of cancer: new research and developments including published results from the National Cancer Diagnosis Audit, and an update (in England) of the QOF cancer diagnosis requirements for the new Quality Improvement domain for 2020/21
- (In other countries we shall replace the QOF topic, such as in Scotland we shall cover the new Scottish referral guidelines)
- Lung cancer diagnosis: new research on the sensitivity of CXR and the new NHS CT ‘lung health checks’
- Asthma: concern around increase in asthma deaths and update of latest BTS/SIGN 2019 guidelines
- Chronic cough management
- E-cigarettes & vaping update
- Hand OA: low dose prednisolone for flares anyone?
- Women’s Health
- HRT update, including the evidence leading to the 2019 breast cancer concerns and the updated NICE guidance
- Perinatal mental health
- Abnormal blood tests
- Making sense of inflammatory markers, based on new primary care research
- Mental Health
- Depression, new research on initial treatment, treatment resistant depression & withdrawal effects of antidepressants
- Burnout: is now defined as a condition in ICD-11, but what exactly is it and how do you know if your patient, your colleague or you may have it?
- Neurology & ENT
- Assessment of suspected neurological conditions, based on NICE 2019 guidance
- Acute vertigo assessment, how do we differentiate between a peripheral (benign) and central (serious) cause?
- Vestibular migraine
- Headaches update, based on new BASH guidance
- Covid-19…the latest emerging evidence on the coronavirus outbreak (this presentation will change as the situation evolves)
- Update on management of common infections, including new NICE guidance on cellulitis and sore throat
- Diverticulitis, new NICE guidance and research: how to diagnose, how to manage and when to refer
- Chronic diarrhoea in primary care: likely IBS-D but could it be bile acid malabsorption or microscopic colitis?
- Last 30 mins, miscellaneous Hot Topics cases
As ever, we like to keep it practical and pragmatic whilst also considering many of the broader issues and challenges we face. And we like to have a laugh too!
Simon, Neal, Siobhan, Kate, Zoe, Ahmed, Rob, Stephanie, Sarah, Duncan, Mark and Will
The NB GP Team
Find this blog useful? You can quickly add CPD to your account by writing a reflective note about the post you have read.
Log in to your NB Dashboard and use the 'Add Reflective Note' button at the bottom of a blog entry to add your note.